Sunday, June 24, 2012

Middle Class Americans and Poverty


NOTE: The poverty guideline figures below are NOT the figures the Census Bureau uses to calculate the number of poor persons.
The figures that the Census Bureau uses are the poverty thresholds.
2012 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
Persons in
family/household
Poverty guideline
1 $11,170
2 15,130
3 19,090
4 23,050
5 27,010
6 30,970
7 34,930
8 38,890
For families/households with more than 8 persons,
add $3,960 for each additional person.


Dateline aired a series called "Lost in Suburbia".  As I sat and watched the show I couldn't help but wonder how many other American's are facing the same thing.  I know many well educated people that are currently working somewhere not in there field just to be employed,

According to the poverty guidelines I am "poor".  I don't feel poor. I feel very blessed. All of my families needs are met and than some, yet I do not receive any government assistance.

Instead we have chosen the attitude of making due, doing without, or repurposing items we already have. We waste nothing and do everything in our power to add to our existence instead of detracting from it. (Cook at home, garden, fix our clothes, use everything up, line-dry our laundry, etc.)

I find it very odd that many people do not know how to cook. You can get a cookbook at the library, search on the web, or ask a trusted a friend. Not to mention all of the cooking shows aired on TV. Cooking at home saves you a fortune.

I have always been thrifty. I think I was born that way. Plus I was blessed with a family that believed in doing for themselves. I am also blessed with a husband that has the mechanical touch (most machines tremble when he comes near them) and I am very crafty.

I will start to include some of my favorite cost cutting strategies in the blog posts to come.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

no nonsense common sense, you never cease to amaze me. An added bonus is less trash.