Monday, July 2, 2012

Sjogren's Syndrome

I was diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome this year. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I felt like the wind had been taken out of my sails. All I could envision was a future where my new husband would have to take care of me. Something that I just couldn't fathom. I mean I am the care giver.

For those of you that don't know what the symptoms are, here is a list:
Symptoms vary from person to person but may include:
  • a dry, gritty or burning sensation in the eyes
  • dry mouth
  • difficulty talking, chewing or swallowing
  • a sore or cracked tongue
  • dry or burning throat
  • dry or peeling lips
  • a change in taste or smell
  • increased dental decay
  • joint pain
  • vaginal and skin dryness
  • digestive problems
  • dry nose
  • fatigue
I went to the doctor because I would wake up about 2 a.m. with horrible joint pain. I didn't think it was arthritis because I wasn't stiff in the morning. I suspected the sjogrens because I get cavities easily, even though I have no plaque or tarter.

I suppose I could take the woe is me approach to this but I don't. I am learning how to say no to requests of  my time and focus only on things that are important to me. I have learned not to get exhausted because it makes my symptoms worse. I am also on a quest to finally take off the weight, just to feel better.

What prompted this journal entry?  I have yet another toothache. I have been pondering if I should fill it or pull it. It is pretty inevitable that I will eventually need dentures but I have nice teeth and want to keep them as long as possible.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to let me know what has worked for them.

No comments: